Sorry I have been MIA. My fiance, Greg Porterfield, and I purchased a small hometown auto repair shop last summer! I have been working practically night and day on the shop and still holding down the real estate world, so the blog and finishing my degree had to take a back seat for a while. We purchased Car Care by Bob located at 711 White Spar Road on June 30th, 2017. The name is now Prescott Car Care, and we just hired another technician, and plan on expanding more in a few months! Our customers have been wonderful, and to just take a great business and make it bigger and better is such a rewarding experience!
One of the major things I am just about wrapping up at the shop is becoming a Green Certified with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality. Here are some of the things they look at:
- Cleaning and Degreasing - Use low-hazard, low-pollution solvents or water-based cleaning.
- Waste Fluids - Recycle and reuse fluids whenever possible.
- Housekeeping - Practice spill prevention, seal shop floors, recycle oil.
- Energy Conservation - Save energy with efficient lighting, "green"office equipment, energy-efficient air conditioning.
- Water Conservation - Properly maintain plumbing, install low-water use fixtures, use desert landscaping and dry-floor clean-up procedures.
- Waste Reduction - Reduce paper use, recycle as many other materials as possible, buy and use recycled products when practical.
We have been busy adding a window to the lobby (it was dark and dingy in there before), adding new lighting throughout the workspace, upgrading chemical storage to OSHA approved containers, using a shredded coconut fiber to soak up spills, and recycling as many chemicals and fluids as possible. We even use the old oil in a special burner for winter heat! I am always on the look out for more and more ways to "Go Green", and we have a few small items to finish up then we can apply for the official voluntary certification! We will be the ONLY shop in the entire Prescott area to achieve this status!
We are also now carrying a locally (Sedona) made car wax and cleaning products that even work on showers stalls, glass, jewelry, granite counters, etc! These are non-toxic and a great product. The next item we are adding is an all natural rodent and insect repellant line. For fun, I have also found some automotive repair related jewelry for the female gearheads out there!
So, even though I have been not keeping up with the sustainable building blog, I have been very busy with making an existing business sustainable both environmentally and financially!
If you need any car repairs (oil changes, a/c issues, complete engine swaps, we do everything except tires!), check us out at www.PrescottCarCare.com or call or text us at 928-776-9528.
In upcoming blogs I will be talking about many sustainable subjects, and water and septic systems will probably be the next issues to tackle.